Neymar Hints at Possible Retirement by End of 2026 – “I Might Walk Away in December” After Chasing One Last World Cup
In a bombshell interview that has sent shockwaves through the football world, Brazil superstar Neymar Jr. has openly admitted he is considering hanging up his boots at the end of 2026 — just months after the FIFA World Cup in the USA, Canada and Mexico.
The 34-year-old Santos forward revealed he is now “living year to year” and could retire as early as December, citing years of brutal injuries and the physical toll on his body.
Neymar’s Emotional Confession: “I May Retire in December”
Speaking to Brazilian streaming channel CazéTV on February 20, Neymar said: “I don’t know what will happen from now on… It may be that December comes and I want to retire. I’m living year to year now.”
He added that 2026 is “crucial” not just for Santos but for the national team and himself personally.
One Final World Cup: The Ultimate Motivation

Despite the retirement talk, Neymar remains fully focused on representing Brazil at the 2026 World Cup in the USA, Canada and Mexico.
He confirmed that 2026 is the biggest year of his career right now — both for club and country. The five-time Ballon d’Or nominee wants to finish his international career on the biggest stage after already playing in three previous World Cups.
World Cup or Bust
Despite the retirement hints, Neymar is laser-focused on one final dance with Brazil at the 2026 World Cup. He has been working hard to prove his fitness to coach Carlo Ancelotti, who has said Neymar will only be selected if he is “100% fit and better than the others.” Neymar has featured at three previous World Cups and desperately wants a fourth.
Carlo Ancelotti’s Clear Condition for Selection

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti has been firm: Neymar will only be called up if he is “100% fit and better than the others.”
Ancelotti has repeatedly said there are “no debts owed” and selection will be purely on current form and condition.
Injury Nightmare Continues
The former Barcelona and PSG star has been plagued by knee problems. He underwent meniscus surgery in late December 2025, missed the start of the 2026 Brazilian season, and only returned to action for Santos last week. His father and agent had previously revealed Neymar even considered retiring after that latest injury setback.
Santos Contract Situation
Neymar rejoined boyhood club Santos from Al-Hilal in January 2025 and signed a short-term extension until the end of 2026 specifically to prepare for the World Cup. He helped Santos avoid relegation in 2025 but has managed just limited minutes this year due to fitness issues.
Fan & Club Reactions

Santos fans are heartbroken but understanding, with many calling it “the end of an era.” Brazilian media is already speculating that a strong World Cup performance could convince him to play on, while others say this is the perfect emotional farewell.
Neymar has scored 79 goals in 128 caps for Brazil (all-time top scorer) and remains one of the most gifted players of his generation. Whether 2026 becomes his glorious swansong or the final chapter depends on his body — and his heart.
This could be the beginning of the end for one of football’s greatest entertainers. Will Neymar deliver one last magic show in the World Cup before walking away?